Have you ever picked a word as motivation for the New Year? The word God’s given me is FOCUS. Many things demand my attention. When I sit at the computer, I see Facebook, E-mail, photos and more calling. I go on Facebook just for a second and the next thing I know I can’t remember why I sat down! I recently found a passion for macro photography. To focus on a bug or flower, the background has to be blurry. It doesn’t work to be focused on multiple things at the same time. The same principle applies to life. When we focus on one thing, other things fade.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.” Hebrews 12:1-2a
To win a race, a runner must keep their eyes on the goal. If the runner keeps looking back, he or she is at risk of falling or losing the race. To win, you must be focused on the finish line. As a Christian, my eyes are to be fixed on Jesus. My goal this year is to keep my focus on Jesus and the race He’s marked for me. Therefore, I need to throw off anything that hinders me or causes me to stumble. I recently read: “The more focused we are, the more successful we can be at whatever we do…the more distracted, the less well we do. This applies across the board: sports, school, career…the ability to focus is like a mental muscle. The more we work it out, the stronger it becomes.” Dan Goleman We live in a world of distractions. I must be intentional about focusing on what is important.
I must continue:
- Focusing my first thoughts on awakening on thanking God. Starting my day praying and yielding to Him.
- Reading the Word of God before all else. Looking for one thing He’s saying to me.
- Meeting with other believers to pray.
- Listening to music that fills my mind with truth.
- Making church a priority; worshiping and listening to God.
- Being involved in ministry each week.
To move forward I need to:
- Listen to God throughout the day; turning to God first at any sign of need.
- Be praising not complaining
- Throw off what is hindering me (Too much time on Facebook? TV?)
- Memorize and meditate on Scripture.
- Focus on loving God and loving people. It’s about relationship not performance.
Why? I’m secure in His love and I’m His forever. I don’t have to earn or prove anything. But I want to enter heaven knowing my life pleased Him. Paul said, “I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus. “ Philippians 3:14 I want to press toward that prize. I want my life to honor Him and give Him glory. I can choose to live for myself and skate through life. But I’d lose out on joy and peace here and the rewards He has for me in heaven. I don’t want my rewards to be fleeting pleasures here. I want to lay up treasure in heaven. That’s why I will choose to Focus on Jesus.
What have you been focusing on? Do you need to adjust the lens?
“My heart says of you, ‘Seek his face!’ Your face, LORD, I will seek.” Psalm 27:8